The gig economy as an activator for employability skills inunemployed youth
The main aim of the GIG UP project is to contribute to the empowerment of young people in the world of work. In the contemporary labour market, in fact, characterised by emerging forms of economy such as the GIG Economy, young people tend to experience, in most cases, precarious forms of work, while others, not having work experience yet, are short of tools to enter the labour market. The contribution of the GIG UP project stems from this context and aims to offer a programme that strengthens and fosters the development of transversal skills needed to enter a rapidly changing world. The main skills the project will work on are: development of critical thinking and creativity, adaptability and entrepreneurial mindset.
Start: 28-02-2022 – End: 27-02-2024
Project Reference: 2021-1-DE04-KA220-YOU-000028951
EU Grant: € 221.250,00
Key Action: Cooperation partnerships in youth
Action Type: KA220-YOU
TECHNISCHE UNIVERSITAT BERLIN [DE]
1 – VERNIAN RTI [CY]
2 – LIBERA UNIVERSITA DI 3 – LINGUE E COMUNICAZIONE [IT]
3 – ACCION LABORAL PLATAFORMA PARA LA IMPLANTACION DE PROGRAMAS DE INCLUSION LABORAL EN COLECTIVOS DESFAVORECIDOS [SP]
4 – INNOVATION HIVE [GR]
5 – MINE VAGANTI NGO [IT]
– NEET’s barriers to employment
– Support NEET in the smooth transition to the labour market
– Using the gig economy as a activator for employability skills
– Youth associations and NGOs
– NGOs, VET schools, HEIs, employment service;
– Any educator (youth workers, educators, HR managers, mentors, coaches, and career advisers in VET and HEI organizations or employment services …) in charge of fostering NEETs / youth employability skills;
– Young people who only experienced precarious work forms or that never worked before
– Unemployed/under-unemployed youth or NEETs
- Increase participants employability skills, encompassing digital skills, entrepreneurial skills, communication skills, critical thinking and problem solving;
- Provide basic knowledge on finance literacy to manage unstable incomes from different sources;
- Help participants to understand their workers’ rights as employees and citizens, and how to behave and perform better in a work situation.
APPROACH / METHODOLOGY
During the present proposal, the 6 diverse partners will create the GIG UP program such as a package of micro-courses and a skills framework and assessment tools, using the gig economy as an activator for employability skills, entrepreneurial and organizational skills in young people about to enter the labour market.
Transnational Project Meetings
– Kick-Off Meeting
– Final Evaluation Meeting
– GIG UP Library and skills grid – A digital library of ready to use materials (micro-lessons, text, games, reading materials, exercises, presentations, infographics…) that educators can use with their target group. The Library covers at least 10 topics covering competences that any gig worker/self-employed person will need to manage their work efficiently (time management, entrepreneurial mind-set, cognitive skills, problem solving skills, digital skills…) while working independently maybe joggling different contracts and navigating uncertainty (build relationships with clients, finance literacy, accountancy, social media marketing, labour market regulations EU level included).
– Handbook for practitioners