Learning How to Sail for Sustainability: Equipping Young People With Life Skills
The Sail4Sustainability Project aims to empower young people to make sustainable choices and take action to protect the planet through sailing. By providing a safe and fun learning environment, the project will improve knowledge and skills of young people to become responsible stewards of the environment. The project addresses priorities in the areas of sports, capacity building in youth, environment and climate change, inclusion and diversity, and fighting social and geographic barriers.
Start: September 2023 – End: September 2025
Project Reference: 101134663
Key Action: Sport
Action Type: Collaborative Partnership
- Jedrilicarski klub Maxi – Croatia
- 2 ZENTRUM FUR INNOVATIVE BILDUNG – Austria
- KARASU GENCLIK SANAT VE SPOR KULUBUDERNEGI – Turkiye
- MORAGUES AND SCADE ABOGADOS SA – Spain
- ASD SPORT COMPASS – Italy
- Stichting Sailors for Sustainability – Netherlands
– Social Inclusion through sports
– Environment and climate change
– Teaching Life Skills to Youth
- 200 young people directly between the age of 18 to 27 and sports coaches at least 40% of them being from under-representative groups,
- 54 young sports coaches with an indirect impact on 1500 young people
- 400 young coaches in six countries.
– To engage 150 young people from communities of each partner organization in the consortium
– To adopt a sustainable sailing toolkit including digital resources, manuals, guidelines, and best practices by 35 sports practitioners, in 6 local communities
– To promote cooperation and networking among different stakeholders to exchange knowledge and practice
- Transnational Kick-off meeting in Rijeka, Croatia
- 3 online meetings
- Workshop in the Netherlands
- Multiplier events in each country (in total 24)
- Final meeting and closing workshop in Bilbao, Spain
- a sustainable sailing program that aims to use sailing (WP3) as a way to teach about sustainability,
- training materials including digital resources (i.e. e-learning videos, collection of apps),
- a manual on environmental sustainability,
- a toolkit for inclusion and diversity
- a guide for addressing social and geographic barriers.
- creating a network of empowered young people committed to protecting the planet through sustainable sailing practices.
- increased knowledge of environmental sustainability and respect for nature,
- improved life skills obtained through sailing practices,
- increased social inclusion coupled with the creation of an expert network in the field of sustainable sailing,
- new non-formal education methodologies that can be used by sports clubs, NGOs, and local municipalities that are interested in green sports.