Chance for a Change
The project is a EVS mobility programme coordinated by Mine Vaganti NGO (MVNGO) with UNITED SOCIETIES OF BALKANS (U.S.B.) aimed at promoting intercultural dialogue, social and civic competences as well as the European dimension of active citizenship through an EVS experience of cultural exchange and grassroots community engagement.
– Mobility of 2 Italian volunteers to Greece (Thessaloniki);
– Mobility of 2 Greek volunteers to Italy (Sassari);
EVS mobilities will last 10 months each. “Chance for a Change” is a product of a long-standing partnership between MVNGO and U.S.B. in the E+ frame. The project finds its inspirational grounds in partners’ commitment to foster EVS exchange as a meaningful pattern of active European citizenship connecting personal growth and community development. Human and cultural exchange in the EVS dimension represents an invaluable and concrete opportunity for European societies as a whole to enter into contact with the positive value of cultural diversity, thus developing in the spirit of openness, understanding, awareness of the inner human dignity of the other which is made
compelling by an ever more diversified and interconnected world.
The project draws a mutually reinforcing synergy with the geographical dimension of the present partnership. Italy and Greece are presently facing critical relief and integration challenges related to the present migrant and refugee crisis. According to UNHCR data, migrants Landing in Italy from North Africa amounted to 102,887 individuals in 2017, whereas the figure for Middle Eastern migrant flows to Greece in the same year was 12,440.
The economic crisis has contributed to a growing youth unemployment (with a substantial portion of NEET youth) and to a noticeable radicalization and unrest among youngsters, resulting in mounting rejection for migrants, minorities and for the “others” in general. Chance for a Change foresees a set of cultural community-oriented initiatives bringing young people from different ethnic/cultural backgrounds closer together, creating an added value of social and civic participation, cultural awareness and intercultural dialogue deeply embedded in the cornerstones of personal development and positive ambassadorship characterizing the institute of volunteering.
Partners wish to enhance personal development and social inclusion of NEET volunteers, by means of empowering them as receptive ambassadors of a positive model of diversity.
Project objectives are:
- Promote volunteering as an effective pathway to developing social/civic competences, tolerance, understanding, intercultural dialogue representing the cornerstone of an active European citizenship.
- Provide a visible testimony to EVS values of intercultural dialogue, diversity, social and civic engagement to local communities and youngsters.
- Promote EVS opportunities among youngsters.
- Develop a mutually beneficial exchange of experiences and sensibilities among youngsters from Mediterranean countries faced by the challenges of migration, integration and youth unemployment/exclusion.
- Fostering the achievement of E+ priorities related to promoting European values and facilitate access from people with disadvantaged backgrounds/fewer opportunities.
MEDIA FOR DIVERSITY (Thessaloniki, Apr 2018-Mar 2019) Participants will support USB’s media initiatives promoting intercultural dialogue, active citizenship, recognition of cultural diversity among migrant/refugee and national youths. USB manages a web radio, an e-TV and e-magazine.
- supporting USB’s staff in awareness-raising media initiatives targeted at national and migrant/refugee youngsters. – supporting USB’s staff in organizing and implementing a Social Campaign on EVS in the frame of promotion of intercultural dialogue, youth inclusion and
social/civic competence development.
- providing a positive example of activism, European citizenship and exchange among different cultures to youngsters and to the local community.
PEACE THROUGH CULTURAL ACTIVISM (Sassari, May 2018- Mar 2019)
Participants will support an educational programme aimed at fostering dialogue and creative interaction among the local and migrant NEETs (age 14-29) attending MVNGO’s Office in Sassari.
- supporting educational initiatives based on sharing of different artistic and cultural sensibilities (Share our Cultures, Paint your Future, Dialogue through English, Art through Recycling, Our Storytelling, Play Your Tine, Share with Food) among the local and migrant NEETs frequenting the office.
- supporting receiving partner’s staff in the organization and implementation of a Final Event displaying artistic and typical products and an Art display of participants’ pictures and storytelling symbolising peaceful coexistence among cultures.
- providing a positive example of activism, European citizenship and exchange among different cultural identities to youngsters and to the local community.