KA204 – Partnerships for adult education
PROJECT DATES: 01/09/2019 – 31/08/2021
The project is a strategic partnership aimed at promoting up-skilling and re-skilling of adult migrants (18 to 35 years) facing social exclusion with basic craftsmanship skills in EU countries through an innovative educational format integrating transversal and entrepreneurial skills and an e-commerce platform to sell their traditional hand-crafted ethnic products.
More than 2 years ago, the applicant, Mine Vaganti NGO, has started an integration path involving migrants at a local level in Sardinia intended to increase the value of differences. It led to this project, in which the applicant wants to test this upskilling path at EU level. Mine Vaganti NGO observed that large portions of adult migrants come to the EU with a set of valuable but unused craftsmanship skills. Upskilling adult migrants’ transversal and entrepreneurial skills will remove barriers to entry in the EU labour market.
Upskilling adult migrants’ transversal and entrepreneurial skills will remove barriers to entry in the EU labour market.
An analysis for the EU-28 population aged 25-54 shows that in 2017 just over one third (35.4 %) of non-EU-born migrants had successfully completed at most a lower secondary level of education. These results show a clear need for education, lifelong learning and upskilling for adult migrants (Eurostat, 2018). As explained by Eurostat (2015), the working age of the migrant population (15 to 64 years) is 78% of the total and migrants in the EU are mostly in the 18 to 35 age range. Therefore, it could be an impacting workforce with a high employability potential. Obsolete working skills are one of the most important causes of social exclusion. NGOs already working with migrants will be at the core of the partnership and will engage the target group in project activities.
- Promote the re-skilling or up-skilling of migrants’basic, transversal and entrepreneurialcompetencies through a new upskilling path to give them the capacity to valorise their handicraft skills;
- Valorise skills and competencies of crafts migrants in the e-commerce field;
- Build capacity of self-entrepreneurship for a sustainable and independent life;
- Promote social inclusion of migrants in EU countries by empowering them to enter the job marketthrough newly acquired competencies.
The general audience of migrants with obsolete skills and the social workers in the field of migrants’ integration, mostly at the local level of participating organizations, and the staff working in the field of migrants’ inclusion.
Transnational Project Meetings: 3 transnational project meetings are planned during the entire duration of the strategic partnership.
1. A tested and validated educational format to teach basic, transversal and entrepreneurial skills specifically applied to the field of craftsmanship;
2. An e-commerce platform specifically dedicated to the selling of ethnical handicraft products to be used by crafts migrants that should be fully operative by the end of the project. Generated income will grant the sustainability of this project output;
3. A comprehensive digital toolkit to support the e-commerce platform; Multiplier Events – 5 National Events and a final international conference
The multiplier events will aim to raise awareness at the local level about the potentiality of adult migrants craftspersons skills and how they can be used to re-integrate them in the labour market.
The Ethnicraft final international conference will be aimed at stakeholders in the field of adult education coming from different sectors, such as training institutions, labour market stakeholders, organisations for active citizenship, policy-makers, public bodies, trade unions and other educational institutions.
Learning, Teaching, Training Activities
Blended mobility for adult learners directed at migrants craftspersons. It will be a training course during which the training format will be tested and validated. Basic skills, such as language, transversal skills and entrepreneurial skills will be taught to adult migrants by an NFE methodology. Trainees will get acquainted with practical learning instruments such as the management of real case scenarios and the drafting of a business plan.
The project aims to create an e-commerce platform to sell their traditional hand-crafted ethnic products.
The project envisages to produce the following main results:
- A tested and validated educational format to teach basic, transversal and entrepreneurial skillsspecifically applied to the field of craftsmanship;
- An e-commerce platform specifically dedicated to the selling of ethnic handicraft products to beused by crafts migrants that should be fully operative by the end of the project. Generated income will grant the sustainability of this project output.